Habitat for Humanity – About us
Can you imagine living without a home?
1,6 Billion people have no decent place to live!
Why is it so essential to have a safe and decent home?
- It is a basic need of each individual and an established human right
- It offers shelter from extreme weather conditions and potential illnesses
- It provides physical safety and security
- It serves as a private sanctuary where education, recreational activities, and family values can flourish
We build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter
Habitat for Humanity is a global nonprofit housing organization working in approximately 70 countries around the world. Habitat’s vision is of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat works toward our vision by building strength, stability and self-reliance in partnership with people and families in need of a decent and affordable home.
People all over the world partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat for Humanity has built more than 1 million houses around the world, providing more than 6 million people around the world with safe, decent, affordable shelter. The NGO was founded in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller.
Volunteering – your chance to join in!
Habitat for Humanity's Global Villageprogram offers international volunteers the opportunity to take part in the “hands on” construction or renovation of houses in more than 30 countries around the world. Volunteer teams travel to their chosen host country to build in partnership with the local people, learn about the housing need and to become a part of the community. No prior construction experience is necessary. Habitat for Humanity teams assist with unskilled work such as lifting, carrying and mixing, as well as hammering, sawing and laying blocks. All teams work with the future homeowners, local volunteers and skilled construction workers, and receive construction supervision. To learn more about our Global Village program or to join contact your Global Village coordinator.
Does Habitat for Humanity only build new houses?
Habitat for Humanity works in a number of different ways to create decent, affordable housing.
- In addition to new construction, Habitat also renovates existing homes in many communities, particularly in urban areas.
- Habitat for Humanity helps people repair and improve their own homes and neighborhoods.
- Habitat’s Disaster Response works with local communities to address a variety of housing needs after natural disasters.
- Habitat’s advocacy work raises awareness and support for decent and affordable housing around the world.
- Outside of North America, Habitat works with partner organizations to serve even more families through innovative financing methods.
Join our mission!
The cycle of poverty can only be permanently interrupted by ensuring that the affected individuals have a safe and decent home. Every contribution helps to make a great difference. Support us in our mission to provide families with a place to live by building homes and hope!
Transparency and Quality Management
Habitat for Humanity is evaluated regularly by external auditors and thereby is able to show that the donated money is being used transparently, appropriately and effectively.